Celebrating The Coronation: Big Lunch, Concert, and The Big Help Out
The Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort will take place at Westminster Abbey, London, and will be conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury on Saturday 6th May. The Coronation will be followed by a bank holiday weekend of celebrations, including a star-studded coronation concert and a Coronation Big Lunch. Tens of thousands of street parties and community lunches will be held in streets, gardens, parks and public spaces across the country, with people invited to eat together in a “nationwide act of celebration and friendship”.
The Coronation Procession will return to Buckingham Palace after the service, accompanied by other members of the royal family, and they will later appear on the balcony of the building to greet the thousands of wellwishers expected to gather on the Mall. The Coronation Concert at Windsor Castle on Sunday 7th May will bring together “global music icons and contemporary stars” and will be broadcast live by the BBC to an audience of several thousand members of the public. The day of celebration will also culminate in a “Lighting up the Nation” laser show, projecting iconic locations across the UK.
The Big Help Out will take place on Sunday 7th May and will encourage people to come out and support the causes that matter to them. Stuart Andrew, minister for civil society, said: “Volunteering has always been a huge part of what makes this country great — from families looking after evacuees during WWII to neighbours looking out for each other during the pandemic. But it’s not just in times of crisis that we step up. Volunteering — whether formal or informal — is what powers our communities from scout leaders to football coaches, collecting the shopping for an elderly neighbour to helping out at the school fete. The Big Help Out will put volunteering centre stage for a day and give people who want to volunteer easy ways to join in.”
The coronation has caused much debate as to whether Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be invited to the event. A poll has revealed that the majority of British people think Harry should be invited to the event, which suggests some hope for reconciliation. However, it is currently unclear as to whether Harry will attend, as he relinquished his public duties when he stepped back as a senior royal.
0. “Spend a day volunteering to mark coronation, urges palace” The Guardian, 21 Jan. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/21/spend-a-day-volunteering-to-mark-coronation-urges-palace
1. “King Charles’s Coronation Concert: what music will be played at the Windsor concert?” Classical-Music.com, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.classical-music.com/features/articles/king-charless-coronation-concert/
2. “King Charles’ three-day coronation celebrations revealed | Entertainment | derbyinformer.com” The Derby Informer, 22 Jan. 2023, https://www.derbyinformer.com/lifestyles/entertainment/king-charles-three-day-coronation-celebrations-revealed/article_9691ae05-eccb-5b65-a32a-960287d8fd35.html
3. “Charles’ coronation will be very different to the Queen’s, says MARGARET HOLDER” Express, 22 Jan. 2023, https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1724534/king-charles-coronation-queen-elizabeth
4. “Coronation weekend celebrations that will bring communities together announced” GOV.UK, 21 Jan. 2023, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronation-weekend-celebrations-that-will-bring-communities-together-announced
5. “Senior royals to join The Big Help Out” The Audubon County Advocate Journal, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.swiowanewssource.com/lifestyles/entertainment/article_cac9dc19-b004-596a-bb6e-2f5f45c7ef7b.html
6. “Prince Harry Might Be Making ‘Temporary’ Efforts to Reconnect With His Family Ahead of Prince Charles III’s Coronation” Yahoo Life, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/prince-harry-might-making-temporary-163751797.html
7. “Most Britons still want Prince Harry at the King’s Coronation” The Telegraph, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/01/27/britons-still-want-prince-harry-kings-coronation-even-though/
8. “Will King Charles Invite Prince Harry to the Coronation?” The Cut, 23 Jan. 2023, https://www.thecut.com/2023/01/will-king-charles-invite-prince-harry-to-the-coronation.html